Webinar on Hospital Energy Efficiency
Date : 22/06/2016
Hospitals are energy intensive buildings, requiring significant amounts of energy to provide the critical care that is their primary function. Energy costs in hospitals can be as high as 5% to 10% of a hospital’s revenue. The lack of effective energy management negatively impacts a hospital’s bottom line as well as the environment. Hospital administrators and facility managers will have to pay attention to this neglected area especially since Accreditation will soon require energy audit and steps to reduce energy intensity and increase energy efficiency.
There are several steps that hospitals can take in improving energy efficiency and reducing energy intensity:
- Benchmark your hospital: Collect energy data for your hospital and find out how your hospital performs with respect to hospital energy intensity benchmarks set by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- Develop a comprehensive Energy Management Programme: Measure, monitor and control energy consumption at the facility level, building level, room level, system and equipment level. For e.g. measure and monitor energy consumption for operating theatres, HVAC systems, lighting and specific types of medical equipment.
- Energy Efficient Medical Systems: COCIR (European Trade Association for Medical Imaging) “Ecodesign” Initiative for Energy Efficient medical imaging equipment (MRI, CT, Ultrasound, X-ray) to reduce energy consumption and environmental impact.
- Work towards an Energy Efficient (EE) Building or Green Building Rating: ISO 50001, LEED, GRIHA, IGBC are well known building rating systems. Green building or EE building ratings improve the image of hospitals among customers.
- Organisations to work with: The Bureau of Energy Efficiency and Energy Efficiency Services Limited are two government agencies that can provide more information on schemes for hospitals. Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE) can alert administrators and facility managers of good training resources and workshops on energy efficiency.
AEEE is organizing a webinar on Hospital Energy Efficiency on June 22, 2016.
Speaker: Dr Satish Kumar, Executive Chairman, AEEE
Date: June 22, 2016
To access the presentation kindly click here